New Student

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:35 am
by BrianTX • 13 Posts

Hello everyone,

Brian here. I live in Texas, but currently on a two month vacation in Rio, Brazil. I am a new student of Pebber Brown, but I am not new to his techniques. I am going to attempt to upload a video of me playing the chromatic scales according to what I suppose the professor wants to see in order to evaluate my skill level.

As as 12 year veteran of 2 different branches of the military, I have thick skin so please be straightforward. One thing I must remark about is the volume level in the video is much worse than when I am playing. I concentrate on all notes being the same volume and I am pretty darned close, but the video sound would state otherwise.

Scroll up

RE: New Student

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:46 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Nice work on the chromatic there including those spirals, Kudos for keeping the speed down that's the way to go,

Picking looks ok to me good thumb movement, good angle for scapel. Left hand looks good fingers curled in, thumb placement good, every thing looks nice and relaxed. so you are on the right track.

So You get these down then realise Pebber has wrote down all those permutations.. hmmm oh well back to the woodshed, couple years work just there lol.

Welcome to the forum

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:16 pm
by BrianTX • 13 Posts

Thank you for your input. I read somewhere a long time ago, "Speed develops through accuracy, accuracy does not develop through speed" so I keep the metronome where I am just on the edge of making mistakes.

One question: In the video, you can clearly hear my fingers causing the wound strings to squeak when moving up and down the same string. Is this just a factor of playing or is it due to sloppy technique? (The loud squeaking starts at about the :40 second mark in the video.)

Last edited Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Yea i missed that, but yes you dont want to be sliding up the strings (they sound pretty new ) but lifting when moving to new position.
There is always gonna be a bit of string noise, but we want to try and eliminate all we can for a smooth transition.

There are a lot of songs where they purposely leave string noise in. So sometimes it works.

couple left hand videos from Pebber .

1:35 in

3:50 in

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word

Last edited Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 451 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly