How to pick what i should practice?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 am
by Zvono • 7 Posts

Hello all!

I'm back with questions!
Lately i have been learning mostly about music theory and ideas for scales and i wrote all that down nicely and i'm very proud of all this. Because i didn't use premade documents or anything but i have played less on my guitar.
I think i made a mistake digging deeper into the theory as i now see so much stuff i could practice. Pentatonic Scales, the standard wwhwwwh formula and appregios and chords and so on.
And when i sit down and open my book i simply don't know what i should start with. So i started with practicing a little bit of pentatonics just exploring how they sound for maybe 20 minutes and then i switch to the normal Major Scales and back and forth. I then throw in chromatic excercises for 20 to 30 minutes but i think i'm actually doing this wrong.

I have the feeling that i'm stuck at these now, seeking new things to practice and i know that this is the wrong approach. I can't even navigate the fretboard somewhat fluently yet but already want to start with something new, adding to the list more and more things.

It felt very fresh exploring music theory basics and some advanced things because it felt like steps foward. But now i think i can't go further yet without getting all that into my playing first which removes this feeling of making steps foward. It's hard to explain for me but i hope you get what i mean. It feels like not making progress.
What i have on paper i can't play yet and i also won't be able to play any of it anytime soon if i mix all of that every time i practice i think.
I watched Pebbers Videos on what to practice and what he shows in those are all excercises for technique and practicing clean and fluent playing.
So should i just keep music theory and scales aside and just do those excercises until i can do them as clean as possible for a beginner level before starting scale memorizing excercises or should i mix those excercises with scales? Am i not improving my technique while doing scales too?
I don't know what i should prioritise anymore :/

Please guide me :)

Scroll up

RE: How to pick what i should practice?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 23, 2017 2:38 pm
by heyman • 60 Posts

Hi Zvono,
I would suggest sticking to the Daily Practice Routine sheet. It is all about being organized on what Pebber has sent you to work on. When I started with PB, I wasn't thinking about scales and chords specifically. It was all out the exercises and the dexterity. All of the adjacent and the non-adjacent picking, the PIMA patterns, the Hybrid picking and the scalpel and sarod picking makes the scale work easier in time. Scales were always a way to link up some fat chords. I think how and what you practice is the art form. Performance is a product of that. Some days I want to explore and maybe break new ground. Other days I just need to get it done. The DPR sheet helps with that. When I started PB I knew some scales and chords. So I had that to apply. Any time you have spent on scales and chords has not been wasted. Everyone's journey is different.

Talk it then walk it.
Scroll up

RE: How to pick what i should practice?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: heyman wrote in post #2
I would suggest sticking to the Daily Practice Routine sheet. It is all about being organized on what Pebber has sent you to work on. Any time you have spent on scales and chords has not been wasted. Everyone's journey is different.
heyman gives some solid advice, right here, Zvono.

I really like your enthusiasm, and it is GREAT to have you here in the Forum!! I just wanted to suggest that maybe try to slow down a little, and just take a deep breath, and not worry so much about "progress" and "what to practice," because you are (hopefully) going to be playing and learning your entire life. There is no "quick fix" that if you just practice this technique for one month, or that technique for one month, and some theory, that you will become Yngwie Malmsteen (or whomever your favorite guitarist may be). Rome was not built in a day!

If you become a paying student, Pebber will send you videos each month, which are very helpful in terms of what to practice. Plus, it is always helpful to see a video of your playing, which Pebber really appreciates (and expects) from students who subscribe to his lessons.

I like the way you divide up your time, so having said that, stick with the Daily Practice Routine.

Are you familiar where to download the free .PDF's here on Pebber's site? I thought I read in an earlier post that you already have everything downloaded. If not, just go back to the home page, click on "Lesson PDF/MP3 Files," then click the first link under FREE Guitar Lessons (Guitar Lesson PDF files...), and scroll down about 1/3 of the page. Can't miss it.

Practice well, Zvono,,,and remember that we are all here to help, and learn from, each other another!!!

Last edited Thu May 25, 2017 4:07 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
307 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 107) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly