E Maj/Emin Scales & Licks Demo

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 04, 2017 7:53 pm
by BillyRae • 24 Posts

Hey Adam if you can get back to me on this one I'll appreciate. We were looking to cleanup the backing track and dirty up the guitar last time on the Stormy Monday take. I was working on some E scale Blues licks, so I worked out some Cubase settings for the Fender and shot the video . Let me know your thoughts when you can, or anyone else with Constructive Advice!!

Scroll up

RE: E Maj/Emin Scales & Licks Demo

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 07, 2017 6:04 am
by heyman • 60 Posts

Hi,
Another approach to blues scales and licks is to work out of one box. An even better one would be working a part of a scale or take an incremental approach. Combining exercises helps to maximize gain for time.

Combine picking with scale work and throw in a lick every now and then. The beginner picking exercises morphed into this kind of thing for me. Here's a video I did for a friend a while back. I hope this helps.

Talk it then walk it.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 16, 2017 11:07 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi BillyRae!

I must say, you have some impressive guitars there! Very nice, sir! The guitar sound on this is indeed better than before. It reminds me of the tones of the late 50's & early 60's era blues, rock, and surf guitar sounds!

You really got into a nice groove throughout most of the track. It took you a little bit to find that groove, at first, but if you start hitting those timing exercises that Pebber teaches, you will see an even bigger improvement,,,probably a lot quicker than you think!

I sincerely apologize for the delay in responding, as I have not been without a working computer for a couple of weeks. Geek Squad saved the day, so I am all set.

Keep doing what you are doing, and I cannot wait to see your next video!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello heyman!

Look at you GO GO GO!!! Timing for DAYS, my friend,,,,WOW! I like how you tossed in those slippery, slidey, bluesy licks, as well...You put the "FUN" in "FUNky!"

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 17, 2017 1:41 am
by BillyRae • 24 Posts

Thanks so much Adam. Very much appreciate the constructive comments. As to guitars I thank you. This is one of two Strats I own. This one was custom from lic. Fender parts and I have it tricked out in terms of set up to be wonderful to play. Working the Gretsch as well but have not yet got it to quit the same comfort level. I just picked up a D Trucks 50th Anniv. 61 re-issue SG. I'm trying it out on a jazzy piece from Real Book 6. Hurt my hand this past week so it will be a week or so to posting. Would very much appreciate your comments when you can. I promised myself I'd move to Jazz this year. Venturing into new territory on this next tune. Be Well.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 17, 2017 4:08 am
by heyman • 60 Posts

Hi Adam and Billy,

Sorry if I high jacked the thread.

Adam.. Thanks for the funny comment. It's a silly exercise, maybe. But, you said it, just trying to have fun and avoid "The Ruts".

Billy.. The SG is a great addition to the collection. Yes, I will have one, someday!

Talk it then walk it.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

I just watched heyman's video for the first time, and that is a great idea. I gotta try that.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 18, 2017 7:39 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: BillyRae wrote in post #5
I just picked up a D Trucks 50th Anniv. 61 re-issue SG. I'm trying it out on a jazzy piece from Real Book 6. Hurt my hand this past week so it will be a week or so to posting. Would very much appreciate your comments when you can. I promised myself I'd move to Jazz this year.
Hi BillyRae!

I've got a 2007 SG Standard (Heritage Cherry) that I tricked out a little, as well: I had to take it in, because the headstock had cracked just above the neck joint. So in addition to that repair, I had all of the varnish sanded off the back of the neck sanded and then stained (plays SUPER smooth & fast!). I also had graphite saddles and a bone nut installed, tool.

I'm sorry to hear about your hand injuries. PLEASE take it easy, because nothing gets worse quicker than any kind of pain/damage in the hands, wrists, fingers, and arms, if guitarists try going back too soon! Easy does it, my friend.

Glad to hear that your going to be diving into that Real Book, though...KUDOS to you, sir!!!

Quote: heyman wrote in post #6
Sorry if I high jacked the thread.
Hi heyman!

You definitely did NOT hijack this thread at all! The title is called "E Maj/Emin Scales & Licks Demo," and, unless I'm mistaken, that is EXACTLY what your video entails, my friend!

You keep up that GREAT work!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 19, 2017 12:16 pm
by BillyRae • 24 Posts

Hand is coming along thx Adam. While I have been limited in my playing, I have learned, in great detail, about guitar set up for lowest actim and best intonation. Have applied lessons to all three of my current collection and bought another Strat (1989 Blacky, Sensor PU's, Mint) to which I will apply those lessons. Can't play/why not fix. Should be back on strings this week.
BTY what stain did you put on the SG neck that would match up with the Cherry. The Trucks came with that fantastic color including neck back as well. The neck on this edition was intended to accommodate slide use of course and is therefore a little bulky so sanding the back of the neck would be good I think. Assume you did not put on a clear coat, just left the stain finish??

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 30, 2017 5:35 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: BillyRae wrote in post #9
Hand is coming along thx Adam...bought another Strat (1989 Blacky, Sensor PU's, Mint) to which I will apply those lessons. Can't play/why not fix. Should be back on strings this week.
BTY what stain did you put on the SG neck that would match up with the Cherry.
Hi BillyRae! I'm glad to hear that your hand is improving! Good Stuff!!

Another Strat, huh? LOVE IT! I've got an '07 American Standard Strat..gorgeous!!

As far as the SG, I had these particular repairs done by someone other than myself. I can clean, set up, and intonate just about anything, but not a glue job. Since it's the back of the neck, I didn't care about it matching, as I only did it to see if it improves playability. I LOVE the way it feels!

Last edited Wed May 31, 2017 4:31 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 30, 2017 6:00 am
by BillyRae • 24 Posts

Very Cool on the SG but I cannot as yet bring myself to such hardline decisions on such a beauty. I too have a skill level that allows me to set up almost anything, but glue & fit & electrics repairs are for others, at least for the time being. I got the Wilkinson roller all sorted out on the 89 SE Plus. Just really breaking it in. Monster output but it sounds totally not like my my Frankie.
I'm working on Gershwin's "Summertime" as a purely blues piece. Should be made for the Strat. Can't make a chord sound right on it as yet, lead will be cool though. I just got started & hand is still gimpy a little as well.

I found the right Real Book VI BTW. Amazon, $35 CDN, free ship. Thanks for the song list, once I got the ISBN that matched the songs list I just looked it up, hit buy. Should be here today. I'll start on following Pepper's Videos.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 31, 2017 4:34 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

I removed those 2 photos from my post, because I realized that if somebody clicks on them, they can go right into my photobucket account and can delete or edit ALL of my photos,,,WITHOUT having to actually sign in to photobucket!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 380 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: