The Greatest Sarod Players

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 pm
by nickjacquet (deleted)

I am really looking looking to expand my horizons as far as my music idols go. I am looking for youtube-(able) recomendations for the best sarod players of all time (i dont really care if they play an oud, a guitar, or shoe-strings)...I am starting to suspect that the full scope/potential of this technique goes way beyond what I had originally desired it for (to pick blitzkreig fast coils like Frakh, gilbert, bucket, Pebber & what not) Can anyone point me in the direction of the most masterful of sarod players...also does anyone have any conjectures about who the fastest sarod player is/was?

"Sarod floats like a butterfly...But it stings like when I trill"-Old Shed Proverb

Scroll up

RE: The Greatest Sarod Players

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:33 am
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Strat
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP350

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:41 am
by uderoche (deleted)

On guitar, it is without a doubt John McLaughlin.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:51 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Theeeeeeeeeee MOST AMAZINGGGGGG I have EVER experienced...

WAS BARUN KUMAR PAL!
LIVE
With Shakti at Royce Hall UCLA 10 years ago with Pebber.

I fucking cried
no shit

broke down because I knew this was theeee most fucking beautiful music I ever heard AND the speed wasnt even the main tech. The speed was there but was used as a tool rather than the main focus. bUT as far as speed...faster than MAC...faster than me of course....faster than I believe even Shawn....I dont know that one because I was too busy crying...and amazed.

BARUN KUMAR PAL

My own inspiration for music and where I want to be with my playing

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:37 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Yes Barun Kumar Pal is quite amazing! Was he playing guitar or was he playing the lap slide guitar thingy? That's what I've seen him play on youtube. Quite amazing. I think you turned me onto him a while back.

Also a good point that, with these guys, as with jazz and other forms of classical music, speed is just another tool. Fast is slow, slow is fast, legato is staccato, it's just, whatever you wish to do. Which is unlike rock music where we have put so much emphasis on fast playing and what have you.

-Ursin

Last edited Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:38 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:22 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Nah...he was on a sarod. I couldnt believe how fast he zipped around weaving in and out of modes. The youtube stuff is nothing compared to what he was doing! Tame!

I kid you not even John shook his head when Barun took off.

Ask Pebber....
We both just fucking looked at each other....!

I remeber we got there late...they closed th doors and wouldnt let anyone in....and then they started....the most amazing sounds flowed out of Royce Hall. Complete disbelief!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:26 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Thats right. Barun Kumar Pal was like he came own to earth from Vulcan for a few hours just to freak out John McLaughlin for fun.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

hehehehehhehe....!!!!!!
lol!!

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
138 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 107) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly