of wives and men (and overdrive noise)

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:22 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Hi guys,

A short tech question:

I have recently bought a Maxon OD-9 overdrive pedal and it seems to produce quite a lot of noise when I flick it on (my wife said I made a lot of noise with the guitar anyway so I put her in the cellar. She made more noise so I shot her and buried her in the garden. There is still noise coming out of the speakers… What do I do? The pedal is new and I don’t think anything is wrong with it. Any idea how to reduce the unwanted noise? Shoot the maxon and bury it in the garden?

Thanks in advance!

Scroll up

RE: of wives and men (and overdrive noise)

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

I have tried a muzzle...she can still mumble loudly....

I tried earplugs....nah...I can see her mouth the words...plus I cant here my playing...

I tried the cellar...I agree....it just gets louder....

hhmmm....

Have you tried a stake to the heart yet???

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:31 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Holy water?? Still won't work on the pedal though...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:53 am
by uderoche (deleted)

A noisegate such as the BOSS NS2, ISP Decimator, or MXR Smartgate placed after the pedal in the chain should do the trick. I've used all of these with good results. My last live rig had an ISP Decimator on the floor after the tubescreamer and an MXR Smartgate back at the amp running through the effects loop. Worked very well. No noise at all.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:48 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

How much noise is your guitar making w/out the pedal in the chain?
What about w/ the pedal in the chain, but the pedal off?
How high is the volume and gain when the noise occurs?

It could be the pedal or it could be amplifying guitar noise.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:49 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Ursin, didn't you lose tone and dynamics w/ all those noise gates?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:33 am
by Case • 68 Posts

There’s negligible noise when the pedal is out of the chain and also when it’s on pybass. I’m pretty sure the problem lies with the effect when it’s in use.
Sorry, forgot the gear and settings:
ESP LTD KH202, Maxon OD9, Marshall MG 10CD practice amp (first I thought this little shitty amp may be the source of the problem but there is no noise without the pedal even when the gain is up).
Guitar volume max, “drive” on the tube screamer almost all the way down, gain on the amp is low (1 or 2), volume on amp low as well (it’s a tiny room where I practice so I don’t need too much to keep the neighbours angry).
Uderoche, thanks for your response, too. I think I’ll invest into one of these if there’s no other way around it. I was hoping I wouldn’t need a pedal to make another one work. These are around 100 quid :S I would be interested in your response to AceLuby’s question, too.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:49 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Could be that your pedal is broken or the battery might need to be replaced. Have you tried both cables straight into the amp? It may be a faulty cable. It also just might be that you're trying to use a tube screamer into a solid state amp and the tone is not what you're expecting, can you try your setup in front of another amp and see if that's better? If all those things still sound like crap you've probably got a bad transistor or something in the pedal. You shouldn't need a noise gate for a one pedal setup into a practice amp at low volumes.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:23 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I agree with Ace that it could be a number of issues and you should do some trouble shooting...try another amp, test your cables, etc.

I've seen Yngwie use his OD pedal with the same solid state amp and he uses the BOSS NS2 after to calm the noise. But it could definitely be a cable issue or an issue with the amp. However, if everything is quiet with the pedal OFF, then there may be a problem with the pedal or you may need a gate. Taking a tubescreamer and turning the LEVEL all the way up basically acts as a boost so you're sending a hotter signal from the guitar to the amp. This gets noisy.

As for noisegates and losing tone/dynamics, etc. Ideally, I would prefer not to use any gates. However, sometimes they are a necessary evil. It may take some tweaking and experimentation to find the right settings.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:56 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Take it back to where you bought it and make your case! pun intended!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:03 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Took it to the shop at the weekend and tried it on another amp/compared it with other Maxon 9s. Nothing wrong with it. They're just noisy, man... I'm with uderoche here. It may be worth losing some tone and investing into a noise gate. Another hundred quid. Grrrrr... Today I ordered all three picking DVDs though to cheer myself up. Seems way better value for money.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:24 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

I'd try a different OD pedal. I've never had a tube screamer or clone do what you are saying it's doing, even with it set on high gain into a hot tube amp.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:54 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Yeah, if I manage to get hold of a different type I'll try it. Though my pedal sounded exactly the same as another OD9 at the shop so I think it's fine. Would it make a difference that the MG10 is not a tube amp?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:11 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

It depends on how you're using it. Overdrives were created to drive a hot tube amp naturally into distortion territory, most of the drive comes from the tubes, not the pedal. Even when using higher gain settings it's still driving the tubes to make that creamy distortion sound. When using a SS amp you're no longer driving tubes, but instead are driving transistors and chips. When you drive these you tend to get unpleasant distortion, especially if you have the pedal w/ high gain settings as you're driving transistors to drive other transistors. If you're using low gain it shouldn't make as big of a difference, but it's still not being used what is was created for.

You might be happier w/ an actual distortion or fuzz pedal like a Rat or Big Muff

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Man...
I dont have the $$ for any of this....lol!
To me an effect is putting a bag or a cardboard box in front of thee amp or have Ficus sing along!

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:31 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Yeah, my distortion is a few pints of guinness ;) First time I get a pedal after my wah which I got about 5 years ago and look at the mess :) AceLuby, I checked out the distortions too. They sound awesome. Might stop drinking and save the cash for these too. After the noise gate...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:00 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

If the noise gate is that important I would have to suggest the below.

Werbung: http://compare.ebay.com/like/30077856289...mTypes&var=sbar

I have one and absolutely love it as a noise gate, tuner, volume pedal, digital delay, and all kinds of modulation all in one. The distortions are only 'meh' so I use it as an 'off' pedal with the volume and drive set to 0 as a quick way to turn everything off on stage.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
121 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly