2 Years of Forum Videos

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:09 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Just went through and watched all my videos, posted sparsely over the last couple of years. Man, I suck!

It's funny to watch myself make all those silly mistakes. My picking is terrible, I miss notes, mis-finger notes, mis-pick notes, and so on. Just awful!

But I'm still alive despite all those flaws.

And furthermore, even though I don't have a guitar on me right now I KNOW that I've improved greatly over this time. It's all due to the work of Pebber and my collaboration with this community.

You all are awesome. I wish a happy holiday to all of you and your families.

And let's keep this train rolling. Play on!

Scroll up

RE: 2 Years of Forum Videos

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:14 pm
by Daniel • 2 Posts

Hey man i want to ask something unrelated to this but have you ever felt like losing motivation in wanting to play guitar?, because i am right now, and I'm not sure what i should do, if I should take a a long break from guitar till i felt motivated again. So if you have gone trough this and could give some advice I would appreciate it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:20 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Yes, definitely. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years and I have a jam-packed schedule.

I work two jobs, mostly seven days a week, and to one of them I drive 4 hours a day. When I'm home I work on personal projects as well as spend time with my wife. Guitar is just one of my personal projects, and I have to fit it in with everything else.

Sometimes I don't feel like doing picking, chromatic, trill, spider, or x-pattern exercises. At those times I'm feeling lazy and I just pick it up and play a few songs. I'm very unstructured in my life and this is no exception.

What always brings me back to a more focused practice is listening to music. The more I listen to skilled guitarists the more inspired I am. I also listen to a lot of podcasts and videos around my work (I'm a marketing manager), and what excites me is what I can imagine from a musical perspective when I consider my other skills and how I can tie them into it.

Basically, I look at everything I'm god at and enjoy doing, and figure out a way to do all of them in one package and get paid for it. I'm a marketer and businessman who is good at writing computer code, working with numbers, playing music, organizing things and motivating people. My wife is a travel agent who is reaching retirement age and wants to run a bed & breakfast.

So one idea I've got is a B&B built around the idea of musical exchange. She can run the facility, I can handle the business end and the music and promotion.

But to do any of that, I've got to master spider exercises, the fingerboard, x-pattern, all permutations, etc.

When I feel motivated and have life goals, and guitar fits in with them, it's easy to practice because I know the end result is better than today and worth the hard work.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:04 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Oh, another thing: record videos of yourself practicing.

I recorded my first in January 2015 and just went through the other day watching them all. It's easy to get discouraged with the struggles you have, but if you look back at the old videos you'll see improvement. Mine absolutely blew me away. I'm much tighter today than I was 2 years ago, with both hands.

If you can't make a video, just record the audio. You should still be able to hear improvement.

But documenting your progress is a great way to help you stay motivated.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:39 am
by Daniel • 2 Posts

Thanks for replying ! I will take that advice on recording myself to see my improvement in the near future. And i want to mention that im 15 and im currently on Christmas break so, i have the time, even during school. I've only been playing for a year now and I just find it great that all the information on becoming a really good guitar player is on peber's website (which i cant thank him enough for doing) so all the information i need is on here, now i just need to work on my motivation, i wlll practice today, mainly module 1 and 2.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:01 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Cool. Keep working. Just figure out what your goal is and write it down. Put it where you can see it. That makes it easier to keep motivated.

Just remember: mastery of the guitar isn't a goal. It's a means, or a tool. It's just something you need in order to achieve something else. So if our only goal is guitar mastery we can get bored quickly. Believe me, I fall into this trap as well. :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:31 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

If you want to play like John McLaughlin, then you must do what McLaughlin does.
If you have somebody that you want to play like, then you have to do what they do.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:07 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: Farelli wrote in post #1
Just went through and watched all my videos, posted sparsely over the last couple of years. Man, I suck

Wow,,,, I sure know THAT feeling! Hahahaa!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
209 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly