Just starting out

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 22, 2012 4:54 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

OK this is about my son he is 12 and keeps showing a interest in learning the guitar. I dont want him to spend years learning nothing like i did,
so were should he, or I teach him to start, he can barely hold a string down so want to start him the right way.
He has been picking a little
so should I get him just to gently slowly get the fingers used to strings (chromatics) maybe some beginner chords.

Scroll up

RE: Just starting out

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 22, 2012 5:32 pm
by Expateach • 29 Posts

I am an elementary school teacher but have helped school guitar club for Graces 3-5. My opinion: My students were immediately taught chords with small 6-strings and also reading staff music. I think that's a mistake. It takes weeks for them to hold a simple chord that sounds terrible and there's nothing they can do with it.
I think they should be first taught tab and simple single note songs: anything from Mary Had A Little Lamb to the melody of songs they like to listen to be it Justin Bieber or Led Zeppelin. They need to enjoy it and play simple songs right away or it will be a chore and they will drop it.
Then get into reading staff sheet music, understanding time, chords, scales gently. I guess you could also make games early on for them to do trills, repetitive speed exercises. They might like that.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 23, 2012 4:56 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Oh MAN!!!!
If I could go back in TIME!

My immediate response would be to get him involved with Pebber...right away!
Online lessons if your far..and...shoot Pebber an email. But...I am pretty sure he teaches everyone
the same regardless of age! When I was 15 taking my first lesson....the material he showed me was the same
material I saw him teach to a 20 year old 7 years ago....nothing changed with his methods. Which is an amazing thing to say...
his methods stood up to the test of time.

I think you are on the right track with your suggestion...I always say the trill never ever hurts.
Chromatic exercises will help in his movement across the neck...and of course the spider/ladder exercises.

And whatever he would like to learn...its fun!

Great to hear a new one interested in playing the guitar!

I can hardly wait for mine to get serious about it....but...Im afraid.......it will be DRUMS!!!!!!
LOL

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 23, 2012 7:22 pm
by Tsonic Tsunami • 27 Posts

Zitat von FRaKh

Great to hear a new one interested in playing the guitar!

I can hardly wait for mine to get serious about it....but...Im afraid.......it will be DRUMS!!!!!!
LOL

DRUMS GOOD :-)

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 5 Guests are online.:
McFly

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
236 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia