My picking hand

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:51 pm
by birdsoffire • 5 Posts

I have always been a fan of guys like McLaughlin, DiMeola, Morse, Malmsteen, etc...fast picking has always been a major challenge for me. I have purchased multiple videos, books, and have perused videos that promised to make me a "shredder" to no avail. I have watched and enjoyed many of the free videos that Pebber has posted on YouTube. As I watched the Module 1 video, one of the techniques that jumped out at me was to alternate pick on one string without fretting.

Pebber what seemed to be a double dog dare to try the exercise for 15 to 30 minutes to an hour to half the day. I knew that all day would not work. So I have worked up to an hour a day per string, a different string everyday. I have to say; my picking speed and accuracy has increased exponentially. I have a long ways to go, but I am feeling much more confident in that ability.

I kind of rambled a bit, but I felt it is necessary to give credit to where credit is due.

Thanks Pebber you are the real deal...

Scroll up

RE: My picking hand

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:42 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Thanks - most people dont get that you have to do exactly what you are doing to improve. It takes a HUGE amount of time and practice repeatedly. Only the pros and would-be-pros are capable of that kind of discipline.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:52 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Sounds great to me exactly what you need to be doing a few minutes here and there just won't cut it. When I first started the picking exercises. I would start as the kids left for school and still be picking the same exercise when they got home 6 hours later. Its the only way. Work work work.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:00 am
by christopher • 9 Posts

birdsoffire: Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you tell a bit more about how you practice an hour on one string? Do you do different note divisions? Do you take breaks? Do you practice sarod and/or scalpel both?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:28 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello birdsoffire,

Welcome to the PB Forum! I cannot tell you how inspiring (and REALISTIC) your post comes across. So many people in the music education field, both would-be "teachers" and students, are constantly espousing, trying to sell, or seeking the latest "QUICK FIX" or "SECRET" to becoming a technically proficient and efficient musician. As Pebber indicated, only the pros and those on their way to becoming a pro truly understand that it takes discipline and perseverance to seriously excel and learning an instrument (or pretty much anything else in life).

I always like to use myself as an example: I first got to know Pebber in 2008, after I had already been playing a little over 20 YEARS. Immediately, I was introduced to the Sarod and Scalpel Picking Techniques. It took me 6 months of daily, disciplined practice before I felt comfortable using this style when playing live on stage. Even to this day, I constantly drill both techniques and have adopted a sort of Sarod/Scalpel Hybrid Technique for the majority of my playing. If you check out some studies from accredited institutions, I believe most experts agree that it takes about 10,000 HOURS of practice and drilling in order to "master" a new technique.

So, what do I mean by "daily, disciplined practice"?:

1) Like you, I would drill each string, 1 hour each.

2) METRONOME (enough said).

3) As Christopher mentioned in his post above: I quite often break down the hour into 15-minute segments of half-notes, quarter-notes, eighth-notes, sixteenth-notes. I sometimes break it down into 3, 5, 6 & 7 notes-per-beat. Also, I will set my metronome to increase by anywhere between 2-5 BPM every 16th measure (or some variation of this), note the point where I "max out," then lower the BPM by about 10-20, and finally plateau for the remainder of the hour. Then, I will try to beat my "max" BPM every few days.

The point: ALWAYS KEEP IT INTERESTING

Keep up the GREAT work, birdsoffire!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:45 pm
by birdsoffire • 5 Posts

There really is not much of a method behind my picking madness. It took me a long time to even build up the stamina for me to pick on each individual string; for what started at 10 minutes and gradually built up to about 45 minutes. I have begun to use a metronome now that I feel that I can now concentrate on timing, rhythm, and subdividing time. I am still working on very basic timing exercises; quarter notes and eighth notes.

It is coming along slowly, because I am really trying to hone those almost to perfection. One of my frustrations was that I have always tried to do too much without getting very far in any of the techniques I was trying to master. The thing that really impresses me about Pebber is that he really stresses a disciplined laser like approach to practicing one or two things at a time. That is what gets results. It takes a long time, but it really does pay off.

I have told and shared Pebber's YouTube videos with my guitar playing friends...At some point I should really start to subscribe to Pebber's online lessons...I wish I could get the money back from all of the resources that I have purchased and the lessons I have taken from those "professional" guitar teachers and give that money to Pebber...

I really am enjoying this forum...it is nice to see a place that people can talk freely about guitar without the negativity...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:26 pm
by christopher • 9 Posts

Adam: What metronome are you using that you can increase speed automatically? That sounds really useful.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
466 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia