The Warm-Up Thread! (PB Forum Member Videos ONLY)

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:09 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello Fellow Forum Members!

I wanted to create a thread were all of us can post videos of ourselves demonstrating the different warm-ups we use to loosen up the fingers and get that blood pumping. Please do not post videos of anyone else demonstrating their techniques. We've got sites like YouTube and GuitarWorld.com for that. Like the DADGAD Thread I recently created, I am hoping that PB Forum Members will get excited about posting videos!

Most of my warm-ups are straight from the Pebber Brown playbook (single-string chromatics, spiders, trills, x-patterns, etc.), and these videos will be labeled accordingly ("Pebber Brown Forum"). I will also post videos of me demonstrating warm-up exercises I've picked up elsewhere over the years, and they will appear as the "regular" YouTube videos I post. I encourage you all to do the same: Post a video of any warm-up you like, as long as it is YOU!

The first video I will share is actually a re-posting of a video from another thread. I actually tried changing the title of that thread, but I had waited too long; the number of responses prevented me from changing it. Here, I am demonstrating a single-string chromatic exercise that Pebber first showed me back in 2008, when I first had the pleasure of getting to know him. It is a nice little twist on what most guitarists would think of when they picture a "chromatic warm-up."

Scroll up

RE: The Warm-Up Thread! (PB Forum Member Videos ONLY)

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:47 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Here is a MONSTER of an exercise I picked up in the late 80's from a publication called "Guitar For The Practicing Musician." I can make the tab available upon request. Enjoy!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:52 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Very cool Adam! I like your videos thumbs up for you

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:19 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Thank you, Ray! It would be cool to see another video showing another one of your warm-ups, too.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:44 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

I have a another one but I suck at this one hahah so im a bit affraid to record it and show it to everybody LOL

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:57 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Ray,

Actually, I was wondering if you would also re-post your "Chromatic Pent Exercises" video here in this thread, as well. Right now, it is posted under the "Single-String Chromatic Warm-Up" thread. Technically, your exercise is not a single-string exercise, so that's why I think it would be more accurate for you to post it here. I tried to edit the title of the other thread, but there were already too many responses. Therefore, I had to create this new thread. The bottom-line is that I just do not want any present or future Forum Members to get confused. Plus, I think more people will view that video in this thread, as opposed to the "Single-String Warm-Ups" thread.

I was also wondering if you would be able to post a follow-up video to your "Chromatic Pent Exercises" that demonstrates how your exercise would fit in the key of A-minor. I noticed that you mentioned this in the video, so it would be really helpful if you could demonstrate by playing that over an A-minor backing track, perhaps. Just a thought, but I think it would be really cool, too!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:57 am
by Will • 21 Posts

Cool Thread Adam. I am happy for this topic because it will likely keep warm up/picking exercises fresh and exciting for everyone. I find it really interesting seeing all the ways people get their hands moving and 'listening' to the motor directions that the mind dictates.

Also love that frankensteinz warm up. And Ray, that chromatic pent exercise video was also very good! I will be trying that one out today. I would like to say thanks to you guys for posting so often and getting this thread going. I really do love the space that is created here.

Here is my warm up video brought over from another thread.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:41 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Thanks Will!

I think this video suits also in this thread so I place it here to keep everything logic and comprehensive for newcomer who dont know what we are talking about now with the chromatic Pent exercise.

Last edited Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:44 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:47 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Quote: Adam wrote in post #6

I was also wondering if you would be able to post a follow-up video to your "Chromatic Pent Exercises" that demonstrates how your exercise would fit in the key of A-minor. I noticed that you mentioned this in the video, so it would be really helpful if you could demonstrate by playing that over an A-minor backing track, perhaps. Just a thought, but I think it would be really cool, too!

Adam Id be happy to try to make a video on this would you like to see it in this thread? I will try tonight or tomorrow to make a video on this. I learned this from my Skype teacher who give me Jazz lessons. He explains me that chromatic enclosers (as he calls it) is used a lot in Jazz. So he gave me this exercise. All the credits below to him :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:07 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: Ray1981 wrote in post #9
Adam Id be happy to try to make a video on this would you like to see it in this thread? I will try tonight or tomorrow to make a video on this. I learned this from my Skype teacher who give me Jazz lessons. He explains me that chromatic enclosers (as he calls it) is used a lot in Jazz. So he gave me this exercise. All the credits below to him :)
Hi Ray,

I am a little confused by your response, but no worries, my friend! Please do NOT complicate things, because my request is really simple:

You stated in your "Chromatic Pent Exercises" video that the pattern you demonstrate does 2 things:

1) It is a great warm-up exercise

2) It can also be used as a lick over A-minor

I am just asking you to please explain #2 a little further. Please post a video showing us how that warm-up exercise relates to the key of A-minor.

Honestly, this request really has nothing to do with your "Skype teacher." I am just curious to learn how you (Ray Gilbers) applies this exercise over an A-minor scale. I am looking forward to your video response,,,,Thanks Ray!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:38 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hi Adam,

Maybe the word lick is was not the right word for that im very sorry for that. What I was trying to tell is that these chromatic steps could be used while playing. If you play the scale like I did in the video that doesnt sound musical at all IMHO. But if you use it once in a while specialy on the Tonic and Fith you get some nice musical "steps" or "walks" I dont know how to call it.

Anyhow I will make a video tomorrow (at the moment Im studying Dick Grove theory ) And will try to show you what I was trying to say, If I can do that.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:14 pm
by Will • 21 Posts

I guess its about time another warm up gets posted in this thread! This is just a blip of me working on some alternate picking. A warm up exercise I have been enjoying for the past week or so. The metronome is at 60bpm and I am picking 6 notes for ever beat (6:1). It's the first time I feel decently solid at 60 bpm with this exercise! Gotta keep pushing it!! 70 is next!

Cheers,

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:32 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Will,

VERY impressive, my friend!!! WOW!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
326 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly