The DADGAD Thread! (Forum Member Videos Only)

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:38 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

I've recently started exploring DADGAD tuning, and learned this little étude off a Keith Murray YouTube video. This thread is for all of us to post videos of our (FORUM MEMBERS) videos playing in DADGAD Tuning.

There are threads for other artists that play in this tuning, so again, I am hoping to keep this thread for just me and my fellow PB Forum Members.

Last edited Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 pm | Scroll up

RE: The DADGAD Thread! (Forum Member Videos Only)

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:40 pm
by herm • 14 Posts

Dig the li'l etude man! Also sweet archtop!

I just noodled a bit...it's a little rough and sound's not great, but maybe it'll give people a couple ideas. I learned Zeppelin's Black Mountainside a long time ago, and the bits-and-pieces I remember are (crudely) in there. There's another little thing from a song I wrote ago with some cool descending lines, although you'll see I also kinda' forget some of that stuff, too, haha.

Anyways, DADGAD's cool for droney stuff, and pretty nice to get an eastern feel out of it because of that.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:33 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Adam wow great stuff man I like your pos. Awesome playing!

Hey Herm
You too you layed it cool but I really need to tell you something. Mountaiside is actually not composed by Led Zeppelin they stole the song from one of the best fingerstyle players during that moment, same as Paul Simon BTW. Check out Bert Jansch (maybe you know him). Below I but a link of a song called Black Waterside which Bert wrote before Led Zeppelin came with their version. I wrote stole because Bert never got any penny for it. He has more wonderfull songs maybe they will inspire you.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:34 am
by herm • 14 Posts

Yeah Bert Jansch is great...it just so happens that the version I learned is Page's :)

I know he was a hero to a lot of guitarists from that generation. I've learned a few of his songs by proxy...for example I learned the Paul Simon version of Anji.

I think the one song I have learned his version of is "Blues Run the Game," and that's not even his, haha.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:30 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Anji is originally from Davey Graham who's the first person who used DADGAD. He created this when he was in Marocco or Tunesia. It suited better to play there with the locals is the story.

Blues Runs the game is from Jackson C Frank.

I love this kind of music a lot too. Cool to see other appreciate it too :).

I played Anji as well but the Jansch version, if you like play have a listen:

Anji

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:59 am
by herm • 14 Posts

Nice! Dig the cover.

I always confuse Davey Graham and Bert Jansch in my head. Very similar in style and era.

John Martyn's another guy I think of with them...he's a bit later and not exactly the same style, but another British finger-picker that's not super well known. You may know of him, but if anybody's lurking on this thread, they would probably like him!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:39 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hey Herm!

First of all, THANK YOU for keeping in the spirit of this thread and posting a video of you playing in DADGAD! I am trying to keep this thread light and fun for those of us looking to explore DADGAD tuning. I can definitely hear "Black Mountainside" in your video, and your descending licks are very cool!

You are so right: DADGAD is perfect for that Eastern-influenced, droney vibe...and you have just inspired me to try a few things out!

(Don't you just LOVE it when that happens?)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:42 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:05 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Great playng Pebber! I like this very much!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:09 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Adam I almost frogot to ask,

what kind of guitar are you playing on your video in this thread. It seems to be a good guitar for fingerstyle, Jazz, Flok, blues but also plug it in to an amp to to some more rock stuff (last im not sure).

I ask because im thinking to trade my Gibson LP for a more Jazzy guitar (hollow or semi Acoustic)

P.S. I like this thread I think we should post more often videos of us making music as well, dont ya think?

Scroll up

Keith Murray tune

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:51 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

SUPER clean man! Very tight!

Scroll up

RE: Keith Murray tune

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:25 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Guys,

Pebber, thank you so much for your kind words and for posting your video showcasing DADGAD tuning! I really LOVE your take on "White Summer." It blows me away every time I watch that video.

Ray, the guitar I use in my first DADGAD video is an old KAY. There is a very interesting story behind that guitar, but that's a story for another time and place. I am glad you like the way it sounds. That guitar is not able to be plugged in, but I am always playing and practicing on it. I've got .13 gauge strings on there. Combined with the "F-holes," it gives the guitar a really nice tone in my opinion. Plus, I can really shred on an electric guitar after warming up on my Kay!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:25 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Well Adam it is trully a beauty and has a wonderfulll tone! Thanks for answering the story behind that guitar you own us now cause it made me very curious ;)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:24 pm
by herm • 14 Posts

Love the White Summer man. Definitely a wide open feel.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
590 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia