Daily Practice Routine for the Busy Professional

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:42 am
by Paul • 1 Post

I am curious how a 41 yr old non-musician professional (I am a scientist) father of 2 small kids like myself can best adapt the "daily practice routine" for my busy schedule. Most nights, when everyone is asleep, I can get 30-60 minutes of guitar practice in. Sometimes more, sometimes much less.

As this is a hobby, I have no delusions about becoming the next Paul Gilbert, but I would like to be the best that I can.

Thanks

Paul

Scroll up

RE: Daily Practice Routine for the Busy Professional

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:48 am
by Sirkostik • 12 Posts

Usually when I dont have time to pracc and I also only get 60 mins to do so, I do open string warm up excerises and thrill ones, finishing with 5 position Major scales (picking & legato)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:35 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

If you have 60 minutes a day work 30 mins module one 30mins module two every day for a while add in 5 position system.
when you have your technique down start spliting time between the modules...
but remember to have some fun work some tunes also. can get a lot done in 60 mins if you stick to a schedule and get it done

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:11 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

I fully agree with Deltadiscos here. I think it is better to spend on 2 modules each a half an hour as 6 modules each 10 min.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:59 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Paul!

Are you "Jussy" Paul, by the way? I ask this, because you sound exactly like a buddy of mine from my area who is named "Paul," is around this age, has kids, and is a scientist. If you are not him, all I can say is: WOW...What a coincidence!

Anyway, the response from Deltadiscos outlines a similar approach that I have actually used. Although I recently left my 9-5 "career" in order to focus more on my music, and I do not have any kids, I was able to keep my chops up and also continue learning new things while balancing everything out with my career and marriage (it definitely helps that my wife is a musician, too).

My schedule began around 4:30 A.M., and I tried to keep this as consistent as possible Monday - Friday. That was my time; chiseled out each day, dedicated to practicing and/or playing music.

Based on my experience, one of the most important things to remember is to make time to actually PLAY guitar, not just "practice" guitar. Even if I only had 15-20 minutes, I found it better to throw on an extended backing track (these are all over YouTube) and just play. Sure, I got my practice time in, but I made sure to take time throughout the week for playing along to backing tracks in order to apply that which I was learning. Not only did this keep guitar playing interesting and fun, but it also exposed areas in my playing that needed improvement. Eventually, you will most likely discover the same and can drill the more challenging items on the Daily Practice Routine.

MOST IMPORTANT = PLAY A LITTLE EACH DAY!!!

Last edited Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:07 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 7 Guests are online.:
McFly

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
184 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 344) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly