Left Hand Exercise Video

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:46 pm
by Will • 21 Posts

Hey Guys. I have been with the PB program for about 6 months now. Really, really love it. Thought I would post my first left hand video here - doing chromatic movement exercises. A little sloppy joe today, but any feedback will be appreciated.

Also, a general question...

I find that with so many notes in these exercises, my pick is slowly pushed out of place at times. This makes me slip up cause I have to readjust it on the fly. Any suggestions for preventing this? Is it as easy as getting a grippy pick? Or could I be attacking the strings too hard?

Scroll up

RE: Left Hand Exercise Video

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:49 pm
by Will • 21 Posts

Got some of those dava picks today. Pick slipping issue solved immediately, and in about 2 minutes I was hooked on the feel of these picks!

btw, sorry for the length of the video, will edit a smaller clip next time...I certainly don't expect anyone to watch that for 10 minutes lol!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:38 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Pretty good technique Willm great job! I watched a part of your video not the whole 10 min. But from what I saw you have a good technque. Your left hand has a nice position and you doesn't seem to have any difficulty with it.

Keep going on like this man!

I love DAVA picks as well Im really hooked to them

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:47 am
by Will • 21 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! I was worried that my wrist bends too much as I get to the 5th and 6th string...I will always be trying to police myself I guess. Will upload a smaller video next time, but really thanks for skimming.

Which dava picks do you use? I am trying the red ones right now but wonder if they are too thick... Might look for a lighter gauge to try from them.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:34 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

My wrist bends more as well when playing on the 6th and 5th string. I think its natural but always good to keep watching on it.

I'm using the yellow ones but I have the blue and red ones too. And I like them too.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:17 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Will!

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for posting your video. I watched the entire video, and I think your left-hand technique looks good! Your thumb is behind the neck, the notes are clearly fretted, and you appear comfortable with your approach.

Those first single-string chromatic runs should also be played the same way descending as ascending (and vice-versa); a technique that Pebber strongly stresses. For example: If you ascend index (first fret), middle (second fret), ring (third fret), pinkie (fourth fret), you should also descend in the same pattern. This means that once you get to the 13th fret, 14, 15, 16, you will descend index (9th fret), middle (10th fret), ring (11th fret), pinkie (12th fret), then index (5th fret), middle (6th fret), ring(7th fret), pinkie (8th fret), etc. The same goes for ascending in a 4321 pattern, as you would then descend in a 4321 pattern. This makes things more challenging as you need to "jump past" frets.

My only suggestion for your future videos would be to try to include a metronome or backing track.

Again, things look really good, so keep it up!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:49 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

I just uploaded a video response that can help out everyone, so I created a separate thread: "Single-String Chromatic Warm-Ups"

Again, I hope this helps!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:23 pm
by Will • 21 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Adam. It is appreciated. And as I noted on another thread, thanks for the tip on how to mutate the single string chromatic warm-up!

I really get stoked when I see how much my control has developed, in both my right and left hand, since I started with Pebber.

I can't say thank you enough, for this whole guitar practice/playing world that has been opened up to me.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Will!

,,,and thank YOU for putting in the effort and sharing with us! It's funny: I had already been playing for over 20 YEARS by the time I met Pebber and started working his routine. I swear on all that is well and good that I learned, and DEVELOPED, way more after studying Pebber's techniques in a mere 6 months than I had during almost the entire 20 previous years. I kid you not.

Have I "graduated" from Pebber's method? Absolutely NOT! In fact, I can pick any point on the Daily Practice Routine and find something upon which I can drill, and upon which I can improve! It's about a process, not about a "destination."

You are an inspiration, Bro....Keep it up!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:05 pm
by GyckaZ • 1 Post

I'm not an expert on this, but Pebber curves his left hand fingers way more than you and his fingers aren't flying so much as yours, so I think you should consider these things a little bit more.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
253 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly