The Triadic Chromatic Approach?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 am
by Aaron • 14 Posts

Hi guys

anyone on here work with this Triadic Chromatic Approach stuff yet? Thoughts?

http://www.jodyjazz.com/images/dvd/georgemaster.pdf

Scroll up

RE: The Triadic Chromatic Approach?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Pretty hardcore method! You sure you want to get into that at this stage of your ability? I worked on all that shit back in the 1970's and it originates from Coltrane. Larry Carlton published a 300 page book on it back in 1978 (now out of print) so thats also HIS main approach. Also Robben Ford dabbled with this a bit.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:50 am
by Aaron • 14 Posts

Cool! going to search around and see if I can come find that book! I always take the modular approach anyway :)
I would pay for some vids on you talking about this stuff!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:06 pm

NO! NO NO NO NO NO NO.
I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS APPROACH!!!!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 pm
by Aaron • 14 Posts

I know you are right.

What knowledge/requirements would you recommend having before jumping into this stuff?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:15 am
by Aaron • 14 Posts

I plan on taking lessons anyway so I might as well get to work on

How to take the online lessons:
1.) Get a good webcam with as little audio latency as possible ( Logitech is best)
2.) Computer must be audio and video quality (2-3ghz machines are best)
3.) Get a good FLATBED usb scanner (so you can scan your work and email it to me)
4.) You need a good printer (Laser or Inkjet that can do graphics no problem)
5.) A working email account
6.) A working Youtube or Dailymotion account (create one if you don’t have one)
7.) An external storage drive – (Microsoft Skydrive or Adrive.com are good)
8.) You will need to allow me access to upload files to your external drive. I cat upload some files
Thru regular email as they are too large for most email accounts so you need a free online drive
And you need to give me access (password).
9.) You need a good hardware real metronome or drum machine. Online software metronomes
Are good and they are also free.
Step 1.)
Write down ALL the scale you know in all the positions you know and email them to me
Write down ALL the chords you know in all the positions you know and email them to me.
Step 2.)
Webcam yourself playing the scales, saying the name of each scale OUT LOUD as you play it.
Webcam yourself playing the chords, saying the name of each chord out loud as you play it.
Upload the videos to your YouTube or DailyMotion account and email me the link.
I can then see where you are at and design a workable lesson plan for you.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:27 pm

If you are going to ignore my comment and try to get into the Triadic Chromatic approach I completely wash my hands of you and will offer no support, advice, comments or anything for you at any time now or in the future. You are entirely on your own.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:18 am
by Aaron • 14 Posts

I do NOT want that! I must be missing something via internet text...

just let me know what to do. I posted the how to take lessons online info to let you know I am serious about all of this and will start from scratch.

Last edited Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:30 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 pm

You said "jumping into this stuff?" relating to the Chromatic Triadic approach is how your message looks...

Last edited Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:08 am
by Aaron • 14 Posts

Gotcha. I have been playing for about 21 years or so and have all my basic down. I do have holes in my playing though. LOTS to work on.
Like a lot of guitar players I suck! Not sure where to start. I figured I would send you videos and or info of all the stuff I know and then we could go from there. That is what I meant from starting from scratch. If I pass through all the real basic stuff and take some lessons or do some video responses and I have my stuff together I would "like" to start learning some of the Triadic concepts applied to guitar.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:57 pm
by Aaron • 14 Posts

and it really doesn't have to be the triadic stuff right away either. I have a million other things I would like to work on. I have glanced at the triadic stuff in the past and understand it enough to go further into it but I would like to learn the stuff from you. You are one of the very few guys out there who knows what the hell they are doing.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:29 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Many years ago when I was in music school, I had the pleasure of meeting an amazing composer named Dr. Stephen Suber. He was the head of composition at the university I attended. From time to time, we would sit and analyze whatever terrible little pieces of music I was writing at the time. I was developing all these "systems" and giving them fancy names and using my "systems" to write. I would explain my "systems" to him and let him analyze the scores that I had written. I thought I was being very smart. One day he told me, I can't remember his exact words now as it was many many years ago, but he said something about systems and approaches are developed because the musician has an idea in his head that he wants to get out and he is looking for a way to do that. Or, the approach could be based on a scientific musical theory that, when put to use, will generate certain sounds the artist is wanting to hear. But, for the most part, these approaches are STIFLING to your creativity. They are usually very complex and take many many years to understand and usually only benefit a certain outlook. In other words, think of an idea and play it or write it down. That's it. If what you are playing or thinking doesn't sound good to you, it's usually NOT because you don't know a particular "system." It's because you need more ear training or time behind the instrument. After hearing this from such a master musician whom I deeply respected, I never again wrote or played using an approach or system. Learn the scales, the chords and how they work together. Train your ear as much as possible. Pebber has it all mapped out. All it takes now is the discipline of putting in the time and you will get to where you want to be.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:22 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Ursin...that was GREAT!
I like that explanation!

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:52 am
by Aaron • 14 Posts

Good info. Thanks Ursin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
443 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia