3 and 4 part counterpoint & Pick-style guitar

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:48 pm
by nickjacquet (deleted)

Is there any way to bring these two things together? For all the ballin ornamented counterpoint (textures w/suspensions,Pedal point,trills,and various other N.C.T.'s) & that I write and hand in to my prof, for my class homework/ I feel like a plectrum-toting fool b/c as much as I enjoy pick-style guitar, its sure doesn't seem to lend itself very well to this area of my studies...I get the worst feeling ever whenever I resort to some contrived/lame-ass excuse for partwriting just in order to accomodate what feels like a contrapuntally limiting instrument.

Scroll up

RE: 3 and 4 part counterpoint & Pick-style guitar

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:52 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Have you tried any classical guitar pieces?

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Strat
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP350

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:28 pm
by nickjacquet (deleted)

In fact, I have. The first ones that comes to mind (a piece that I very much enjoy) "Primavera Portena"~Astor Piazolla. It was a piece that I first heard when this dude (whom I had never heard of before, mind you) came to play a recital at my college. His name was Marco Sartor, and from the moment I first heard him playing up to when we were chatting afterwords, I was just BLOWN AWAY by his intellectual & technical mastery/ability to navigate what I would consider to be considerably complex contrapuntal passages. This is that guy and the aforementioned piece. FWIW, I consider Marco to be a virtuosso of the highest order...

-Which is the only reason why I feel fairly safe posting this link w/o Pebber ripping my head-off and eating it (-:

The only issue for me is that I cannot think of any way to approach this kind of music (example given below) w/o leaving the turf of pick- style guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_BzStA6CRQ

Last edited Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:30 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:23 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Zitat von nickjacquet

w/o leaving the turf of pick- style guitar.

There is a reason they aren't using a pick... multiple voices need multiple fingers. But you can still do this with the "hybrid picking" technique. Classical guitar usually makes use of 4 fingers 98% of the time. With your pick, middle, ring, and pinky, you can get the same effect going.

This is considered a different style of guitar so I really don't get your problem.. If you want to play contrapuntal type pieces just lose the pick. If you wanna shred, use a pick.

Although, don't tell this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ9PRzIyz...ture=plpp_video

Sweeps with no pick... wow!

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Strat
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP350

Last edited Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
10 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly