I'm new and have some questions about the practice routine.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:24 am
by Ides of March • 3 Posts

Hey everyone. I have been playing guitar for 11 years, mostly rhythm guitar. I found PB about a year ago and have copied down all of the pdf's and the daily practice routine. My thing is, I'm 38 and have a family and day job, so my hours of practice unfortunately for me are limited to about an hour a day maybe a bit more. Is the daily practice routine mainly for lead guitar work.
I am curious to know because I mainly play rhythm. But if the routine is for the all around guitar players technique
then I want to dive in. I love the discipline of PB and how he motivates that we all suck lol.
My other question may be a stupid one but is being 38 too old to begin on this journey of the
daily practice schedule? I know it's better to have started as a teen, but I didn't. I guess if you need
to be practicing 8 hours a day to get this I pretty much at this stage can't do that. I wish I could but
I can't. Also is it better to go through all the modes in a practice session or better to pick one or two and work on them.
And if that's the case is it beneficial to switch it up every week or stick to the same thing until you get it down.
I know I should focus on what my weakness is, but I just wanted an idea about the whole routine.

Thanks

Last edited Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:27 am | Scroll up

RE: I'm new and have some questions about the practice routine.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:32 am
by uderoche (deleted)

This is the basics of how to play guitar period. I would start here and work on this when you have time.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:31 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

You got to fit in what you can as an adult. Work-Job-Family etc all take its toll on your time and more importantly, ENERGY. The daily practice routine has 7 modules so you can devote 5 minutes to each and have a well rounded 35 minute practice session. If you devote 10 minutes to each module its a total of 70 minutes a day. All the young lions are doing 1hr in each module and some do 2hrs in each module for a 14 hour day - but they are able to because they dont have jobs, live at home and have supportive family members. You cant do that. Sorry brutally honest here. So you have to fit in what you can do - go as you go but know you are on the right track and you will eventually improve quite a bit as long as you stay consistent and committed.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Thank you pebber. And your right I can't do 6 hour sessions. I just did module 1 and 2 well pieces of both for about 45 minutes.
Here's the thing though I have read that you should focus on modules 1 and 2 for about a year? I have heard you say in your
Videos that's it's not wise to jump around a lot because you won't retain the work. So
I am a bit confused on if I should jump around to all 7 or just stick to the first two modules.
I also play in an original band so I need time to go over songs which falls into
Module 7. I guess I have to choose what I need to work on the most
When I am picking out the work in the modules correct?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am

It always depends on the level of suck. If your technique completely unabashedly totally fuckin SUCKS - which 99% of ALL STUDENTS for the past 35 years DOES, you need to spend a lot of time in module 1 and 2 to get it fixed. After its come around then module 3 scales are going to open your technique and ears up more. Guitarists who have it all together like Allan Holdsworth or Pat Metheney spend the BULK of their time doing what would be their own equivalent of Module 7.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:08 am

lol, yeah man unfortunately for me my technique isn't that great. I didn't realize until I got my Pebber binder together and started
doing your exercises. Never heard of most of them. So I guess I will stay in 1 and 2 until I get that down pretty well. There is
so much in both modules to do so I have alot of work to do. I have all of the pdf files for module 1 and 2 printed out and in the binder
and watch your videos to make sure they are done correctly. I also realized I can always have my guitar with me unplugged
if I can't be in the studio (basement). Which means I can do exercises in small increments when I am not being disturbed. So i
will have more practice time. Thanks again for all you do bro, it's over the top coolness and it is appreciated greatly.

Matt

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:35 pm
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

Hi Matt to further clarify the dont jump around part.

It means, especially if your time is so limited that as an example: if you have 15 minutes for module 2, it is better to do 1 spider and 1 lader for a couple of weeks, than attempting to do 10 different ladders, 10 different spiders, 10 x pattern excercises, trills , chromatic etc.. all crammed and rushed in those 15 minutes. (would leave you with less than 1 minute for each excercise)

The jump around part also means you stick to the same excercises everyday till you "click with" them, and then you move on to another member of the same family of excercises.

At least thats how i understood it after some practice and thorough thinking, because even at days when i managed to practice for 12 hours i had the feeling i was trying to cover too much hence jumping around.

Nevertheless i always have the feeling im not practicing enough, even the weekends where i managed to practice for 24 hours.. :(
but recently (after 6 months) i feel like i have found my" ideal ammount of excercises per module" for the time being. It feels like i can handle it, but its at the brink of i can´t..

I need to catch up with those lions, i have a part time job, uni and live with my gf, but i try every waking and sleeping moment.
As a suggestion that worked for me: try to share your passion and toughts about your guitar playing with your family, they will probably be supportive and might even want to learn from you, play with you and give you a little more time so you can practice in peace :)

Last edited Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:47 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:40 pm

You need to go ahead and order the book "Practicing" by Glenn Kurtz and read it.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
54 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 378) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly