Satch Scream

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 2:49 pm
by 1ryan5150 • 2 Posts

Joe satriani Does this thing with harmonics on satch boogie and i cannot figure out were those harmonics are, can some one help me?

Scroll up

RE: Satch Scream

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 2:51 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

You hit a harmonic on the open B string with your pick hand and then manipulate the bar with your fretboard hand

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

My bad... I just went and dug up my "Surfing With The Alien" tab book for you. It says the scream at the beginning is a natural harmonic 14th fret d string.

He does do the b string one a lot regardless

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 3:07 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

A word of caution, just because tab books say one thing, doesn't mean they're correct... from what I've seen, 90% of the time they're wrong..

The way you can really figure stuff like this out, is if you slow down the part you're working on, there is a cool program I use called Transcribe, it really makes learning stuff by ear a lot easier.

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. - Pebber Brown

Last edited Mon May 24, 2010 3:07 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 3:21 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Bro, are you kidding me? Andy Aledort transcribed "Satch Boogie" in the "Surfing With The Alien" Tab book!!!!!!

It's 99% accurate I'm sure of it. That's why I dug it out for the guy.

I even sat down with my guitar and played it and it sounds right.

As a matter of fact, Andy and I are friends on facebook and chat all the time so nect time I see him online, I'll ask him what percentage he thinks he got correct.

Chill out kid, I got this.

Last edited Mon May 24, 2010 3:24 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 3:30 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

I hate it when I come off like that... sorry...

Yeah, I know Andy Aledort transcribed it, I have it as well, I was just making an observation about the crap-load of stuff out there that people are calling tab. Of course Andy got it right on, but the other stuff out there that you don't know who transcribed what, is what I'm talking about... I've wasted LOTS of money buying these tab books, thinking that they will make me learn the song, most of the time, they leave out notes or have the wrong chord shapes, etc... but yeah, anything by Andy is of course 100% accurate, him and this other guy, Jeff Perrin, another GW transcriber, both are AT LEAST 99% accurate. :)

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. - Pebber Brown

Last edited Mon May 24, 2010 3:31 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:41 am
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Here's the 'Satch Boogie' lesson by Satriani himself:

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf...505466590051085

Compare this info with the tab you have... I'm pretty convinced the tab would be way different from original
at some crucial spots.

It's very hard to find a good tab of any song, even if author is considering his transcription as his life's work.
In this case, we have video to compare with, but what if all info comes just from the tab? How to check if it's right?

Rely on your ears man, or if it's some faster music to our ears, get a software that can do ?time stretch'(slow down)
for you, without losing original pitch, do *time stretch', and listen and compare. Using tab as a suggestion in which
direction to figure out the song is fine, for reference etc, but taking tabs too seriously are doing nothing more than
making ourselves lazy.

So, what to do with tabs of 'Satch Boogie'... one tab shows natural harmonic on D, some other tab shows natural
harmonic on G etc... and I'm pretty convinced too, that Satch plays this squeal on B string. You can actually hear open
B string under the harmonic, right...

He drops the whammy down on B string into 'drop dead' tuning with his left hand, does a pinch harmonic with a pick
and thumb, and brings whammy back from the dead and pulls it above the tuning for the whole note...at least, it's the
case in this video above...4 octaves higher B note bent into C#, produced with whammy bar and pinch harm.

I don't have original recording to compare, but I think that's played that way on a record too.

...and not to mention how some tabs of 'Satch Boogie' sucks even with the easiest parts to figure out.

Last edited Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:51 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 309 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly